Thursday, March 9, 2017

3D Printer First Major Mod

To be able to fully support the robot I figure it is time to upgrade my printer. My old printer dies due to bad heated bed wiring. The zip tie that ties the power and heat probe cables was carving into my timing belt which caused major wear issue. It was also carving into my power wires and as the result of that. My power wire bed was shorted, my board died, the temperature is out of control and shoots up to 50 degree in 2 seconds when I plug it in. Crazy Stuff right there. I ended up returning it to amazon and they sent me a replacement. Thank you amazon, amazon is just the king of customer service in my opinion.

Anyways, since I do not wish to face this issue again because I want to keep printing nice things for my robot. I decided to take actions, I bought a couple of things, a 16T metal pulley from Reprap Champion and 2 3mm bore toothless pulley to replace the old cheap plastic pulleys. I also bought some cable wrapping, zip ties, drag chains and new timing belt. When they arrived in the mail I knew it was time.

So I unscrewed the bed, re-solder the cables so that they face backwards. Then I cut the belt to get to the pulleys. I took out all the pulleys and replace them with new ones. The Y stepper pulley is a little bit stubborn but I managed to take it out. After that I opened the side and bottom panels to get to the board. I drilled a hole in the back and re-wired the cabled. Then I added my chain drag and cable ties. And when I was done with it, I turned it back on and BAMMM. It works. It turns out to be even nicer than I thought.

Here are some pictures



No comments:

Post a Comment